Skip to main content

Life history and why dele giwa was assassinated.

Dele Giwa

Dele Giwa (16 March 1947 - 19 October 1986) was a Nigerian journalist,editor and founder of Newswatch magazine,who was killed by a mail bomb in his home on 19 October 1986.The assassination occurred two days after he had been interviewed by State Security Service (SSS) officials,


Dele Giwa was born on 16 March 1947 to a family from Ugbekpe-Ekperi, Etsako Central LGA,Edo State and working in the palace of Oba Adesoji Aderemi,the Ooni of Ife. He attended local Authority Modern School in Lagere,Ile-lfe.When his father moved to Oduduwa College,Ile-Ife as a laundry man,he gained admission to that school.Dele Giwa travelled to the USA for his higher education.Dele Giwa and fellow journalists Ray Ekpu,Dan Agbese and Yakubu Mohammed founded Newswatch in 1984,and the first edition was distributed on January 28,1985.

A 1989 description of the magazine said it "changed the format of print journalism in Nigeria [and] introduced bold, investigative formats to news reporting in Nigeria".However,in the first few months of the administration of General Ibrahim Babangida,who took power in August 1985, the magazine was shamelessly flattering.It printed his face on the cover four times and even criticized "anyone who attempted to make life unpleasant for Babangida". Later,the paper took a more hostile view of the Babangida regime.


According to Giwa's friend,colleague and neighbour Mr Ray Ekpu,Giwa had been invited by the Directorate of Military Intelligence (DMI) in September 1986, during this invitation Giwa was questioned by Col. Haliru Akilu,the Director of the agency about an alleged discussion he had with some people about arms importation.In an off the record interview with airport journalists, Lt. Col. A.K Togun, the Deputy Director of the State Security Service SSS had claimed that on 9 October Dele Giwa and Alex Ibru had organized a media parley for media executives and the newly created SSS.Togun claimed that it was at this meeting that the SSS and the media executives reached a secret censorship agreement.Under this agreement, the media was to report any story with potential to embarrass the government to the SSS before they tried to publish same.

According to Ray Ekpu,SSS officials summoned Giwa to their headquarters on 16 October 1986,Ekpu accompanied him to the SSS headquarters at 15 Awolowo road Ikoyi for the interview but was asked to wait outside the interview.Lt. Col Togun,accused Giwa and Newswatch of planning to write the “other side” of the story on Ebitu Ukiwe who was removed as Chief of the General Staff,to General Babangida.

The magazine had published a cover story titled:Power Games:Ukiwe loses out in its October 20 edition which was on sale on October 13,1986.Ekpu claimed Giwa had also been questioned in the September interview at the DMI about an article he wrote on the Second-tier Foreign Exchange Market (SFEM) where he argued that “SFEM must succeed otherwise those in government would be stoned in the streets”.Ekpu commented that Togun had said that he didn’t find this particular article offensive because Babangida was determined to make SFEM work.Togun also accused Giwa of planning to import arms into the country for a Socialist revolution in collusion with the Nigeria Labour Congress,the Academic Staff Union of Universities and students.Togun also accused Giwa of claiming to have promised that Newswatch would employ the suspended police public relations officer,Alozie Ogugbuaja who had accused the army of being idle and of doing nothing other than drink pepper soup which he averred gave them enough time to plan coups.

Ogugbuaja claims that on 16 October 1986,a bomb was defused by the police bomb squad at his official residence at 19,Oba Akinjobi street,GRA,Ikeja Lagos. Ogugbuaja also said that he suspected that his phone might have been bugged by the DMI because Giwa and Ray Ekpu in one of their telephone conversations with him had indeed promised to employ him in Newswatch if the police dismissed him.Giwa reported the interrogations to his friend Prince Tony Momoh who was then the Minister of Communications, Giwa had told Momoh that he feared for his life because of the weight of the accusations levelled against him.

According to Ekpu, Momoh "dismissed it as a joke and said the security men just wanted to rattle him";Momoh promised to look into the matter.On 18 October Giwa also spoke to Admiral Augustus Aikhomu, the Chief of General Staff who said he was familiar with the matter and also promised to look into it.Later on 18 October,a day before the bombing, a staff of the DMI had phoned Giwa's house and asked for his office phone number from his wife Funmi.This same person from the DMi later called back to say he couldn't reach Giwa at the office and then put Col Akilu on the line.Ekpu alleges that Akilu asked Giwa's wife for driving directions to the house and when she asked him why he needed the directions he explained that he wasn't very familiar with Ikeja,he also offered that the President's ADC had something for Giwa, probably an invitation.According to Ekpu this didn't come as a surprise because Giwa had received advance copies of the President's speeches in the past.

On 19 October,Giwa phoned Akilu to ask why he had been calling his house the previous day,Akilu was alleged to have explained that he only wanted to tell Giwa that the matter had been resolved. Ekpu says Giwa replied Akilu that it wasn't over and that he had already informed his lawyer,Chief Gani Fawehinmi to follow up on the matter.Akilu then told Giwa that there was no need for that,that it wasn't a matter for lawyers and that he should consider the matter resolved.

About 40 minutes after the telephone conversation with Akilu,two men in a white Pegeout 504 saloon car delivered a package to Giwa's guard who handed same over to Giwa's son Billy.Billy handed the package to Giwa who was sitting at the dining table having a discussion with Mr.Kayode Soyinka the London Bureau Chief of Newswatch.The package exploded,mortally wounded Giwa and temporarily deafening Soyinka who had excused himself to the rest room shortly before Giwa was supposed to have attempted opening the package. Giwa,in pain,still conscious but badly burnt was rushed to the hospital where he eventually died from his wounds.

Investigation,Litigation and Controversy:

On 20 October,the day after the bombing, the government convened a press conference presided over by Augustus Aikhomu.Before the press conference started,all press photographers were ordered out, also,foreign journalists and Nigerians that worked for foreign news media were also ordered out.Those left behind were told that the briefing was "off the record" and Aikhomu would not be entertaining any questions.

Aikhomu then went on to ask Ismaila Gwarzo,the Director of the SSS and Haliru Akilu to render their accounts of what had transpired between Dele Giwa and their agencies in the recent past.Gwarzo confirmed that the SSS had invited Giwa for questioning over allegations of gun running.Akilu on his part confirmed that he had called Giwa's home on 18 October to ask for directions to the house so he could stop over to see Giwa while on his way to Kano through Ikeja airport.Akilu also said that he had wanted to visit Giwa at home to "prove a Hausa adage that if you visit someone in his house,you show him you are really a friend.” Ekpu claimed that he remembered Gwarzo saying that the killing was "quite embarrassing" and also that Tony Momoh also described it as "a clear case of assassination",later on he was also quoted as saying "a special probe would serve no useful purpose".

Graffiti of the time implied a belief that the SSS had been responsible.

In a newspaper interview years later in retirement,Mr. Chris Omeben who at the time was the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) in charge of the Federal Investigation and Intelligence Bureau (FIIB) at Alagbon,on his part recalled that he was the second officer to have handled the case file after he had taken it over from his predecessor at the FIIB, Mr Victor Pam.Omeben explained that he had done what any competent investigator would have done in unravelling the circumstances surrounding the death of Dele Giwa.He went on to say that he had examined the crime scene and found it suspicious that the toilet adjacent to the blast site which Mr. Kayode Soyinka alleged he was occupying when the explosion occurred had also suffered damage from the blast but Soyinka was left unscathed.Omeben described the force of the explosion to have been strong enough to blow out the steel bars over the toilet window (burglary protection),which in his own assessment made Mr Soyinka's story less convincing. Omeben also claims he requested to interview Dan Agbese,Ray Ekpu and Kayode Soyinka.Of the three,only Agbese turned up,he was later to find out that Soyinka had fled the country. Omeben also alleged that he was being pressured into naming Babangida and Akilu as suspects when he yet had no evidence linking them to the crime. Some of this pressure led to the formation of a special squad to investigate the case,the squad was headed by Assistant Commissioner of Police Abubakar Tsav. Omeben alleges that the then Inspector General of Police Gambo Jimeta has asked him to leave the case with the Tsav team out of anger at how messy the whole situation was getting.Omeben also spoke about certain "fixations" in the minds of the general public about the case,in his own words

"...There is the tendency for people to make up their minds as to what they want to see or hear.It may not necessarily be the truth and once they are so fixated, every other thing that somebody else would say would not mean anything to them.Dele Giwa’s case suffered such a fixation".

In testimony that he gave on 3 July 2001 before the Justice Oputa led Human Rights Violations Investigations Commission (HRVIC),Tsav alleged that the government stonewalled his investigation into the assassination. Tsav claimed that he was not granted permission to question key actors involved,including Tunde Togun,Ismaila Gwarzo and Haliru Akilu. He also said that he had requested that the privileges of these officers be withdrawn so he could take their statements and conduct a search of their offices and residences for items of evidential value but this request was denied.Tsav averred that in his final report,he had concluded that there was enough circumstantial evidence to accuse the duo of Togun and Akilu of conspiracy to murder but still the government did not make these two officers available for interrogation or a voice identification as he had requested.

Tsav claims that he handed the case file back to Chris Omeben.Tsav alleged that none of his recommendations were implemented,the case file was never returned to him and that there was no evidence that the case was transferred to another officer of agency.Tsav said he believed Giwa was killed because he believed Giwa was in "the way of some powerful forces".

After the official investigation stalled, various conspiracy theories arose to explain why Giwa was killed.One of the most popular and still the most enduring has been the Gloria Okon connection. Gloria Okon was a Lady who was arrested in 1985 by the National Security Organization (NSO) at the Aminu Kano International airport on suspicion of drug smuggling. Soon after,the NSO alleged that she had died in custody,the government subsequently constituted a commission of inquiry to investigate the matter.

Conspiracy theorists allege that Gloria Okon was a drug mule working for the wife of General Ibrahim Babangida who was then the Minister of Defence in the regime of General Muhammadu Buhari. The theorists allege that during interrogation by the NSO Okon had claimed that she worked for highly placed Nigerians, in particular Babangida's wife. The theory goes on that Babangida spirited Okon out of detention to the United Kingdom,sold the public the ruse of a dead Gloria Okon and that Dele Giwa happened upon Okon on a trip to the UK where she told him her story.The story goes on that armed with this information, Giwa tried to blackmail the now Military President,Ibrahim Babangida and this was why he was killed.

This blackmail theory might not be unconnected with the off-the-record interview that Lt Col A.K Togun gave to airport correspondents of the Guardian on 27 October 1986.In the interview, when asked about Dele Giwa's killing and the suspicion in the public that he was killed by the government,Togun was quoted as saying " person cannot come out to blackmail us.I am an expert in blackmail. I can blackmail very well.I studied propaganda so no one person can come and blackmail us after an agreement...".

Togun's statement was in the context of the secret agreement reached by Giwa and other media executives at the October 9 meeting,he seemed to accuse Giwa of reneging on the agreement leading to Giwa being invited for questioning on 16 October.Theorists also allege that Babangida's drug running activities were brought to the attention of the Buhari-Idiagbon regime which led the regime to slate him for retirement on 1 October 1985.They also say that it was his impending retirement that inspired him to plan the coup that toppled Buhari in August 1985.

Giwa's colleagues at Newswatch have debunked this theory and deny any link between Giwa, Gloria okon and Mrs. Babangida.In a Newswatch interview marking the twenty fifth anniversary of the magazine,one of the founding partners of the organization Yakubu Mohammed explained the Giwa-Newswatch-Gloria Okon link. Mohammed claims that Dele Giwa had not been writing any Gloria Okon story and that the closest Newswatch got to a Gloria okon story was at one of the magazine's editorial conferences where a Newswatch reporter,Bose lasaki,who was a niece to President Olusegun Obasanjo spoke about a "rumour" making the rounds to the effect that Gloria okon had not died in detention but had been spirited out of the country.Mohammed claimed that Lasaki's story was dismissed off-hand but that she was asked to find out more about the rumour.Lasaki was alleged to have returned for the next editorial conference the following week and declared that there was no substance to the rumour.Mohammed alleged that Giwa was not at any of these meetings.The Ibrahim Babangida drug running angle was also called into question by revelations made by the embittered former head of the National Security Organization (NSO),Alhaji Mohammed Lawal Rafindadi. In 1985, following a request by the Supreme Military Council, the NSO under Rafindadi investigated Babangida and found him complicit of forgery and activities inimical to national security.This issue arose as a result of Babangida and his in-law,Mr Sunny Okogwu's interest in an arms manufacturing venture in Kaduna called Black Gold.The SMC,based on the NSO's findings slated Babangida for retirement.

The only witness to the events shortly before the bomb exploded,Mr Kayode Soyinka had alleged that the package had a label with the seal of the Nigerian President and also claimed that the label indicated that it was form the office of the president.No other witness has corroborated this claim, Giwa's 17 year old son,Billy,who had delivered the package to Giwa has never corroborated this claim.Mr Soyinka's testimony about the events prior to and after the bombing have also been brought into question, there have been accusations made to the effect that he might have been the same person that detonated the bomb by remote control as he was not injured in the explosion.Soyinka had claimed that he had excused himself to go to the rest room as soon as the package was delivered, this was deemed suspicious because it was assumed that his journalistic curiosity would have been kept him in the room to know what the package contained if it indeed came from the President. Mr Soyinka is also alleged to have given conflicting accounts of the events to the Police and media outlets, he is also accused of fleeing the country while investigations were ongoing.Giwa's lawyer was also accused of prematurely accusing the government of Dele Giwa's murder thereby truncating the investigation into the case,Newswatch Magazine in a November 5,1986 edition disowned Fawehimni.

The subsequent court cases instituted by Fawehinmi against the government to enable him try the case as a private prosecutor after the Director of Public Prosecution,Mrs. Eniola Fadayomi had refused to prosecute based on the evidence available were mostly unsuccessful.An excerpt of the Judgement by the then Lagos State Chief Judge, Justice Candido Johnson reads thus "...Even if one considers the reasonableness of time,I would say that the incident that gave birth to the death of the late Dele Giwa is not only unique in its form but also complex and would require sufficient time to conduct detailed and balanced investigation,a report on which the appropriate authority would reasonably act.The timing here appears hasty and premature. It appears impulsive without giving reasonable time and chance for a detailed and balanced investigation into this sordid incident. In the circumstances and having regard to the review made above,it is my ruling that this (ex-parte) application is misconceived and it is therefore dismissed.Leave to apply for mandamus is hereby refused.”

Fawehinmi went on to the Supreme Court and got a favourable judgement which enabled him go back to the Lagos State High Court,this judgement also mandated the Justice Candido to recluse himself from the case and appoint another judge to hear the case.On 23 February 1988, Justice Longe ruled that the two security officers,Lt. Col Tunde Togun and Col. Haliru Akilu could not be tried for the murder of Dele Giwa.In his ruling Justice Longe averred among other things that,"...the Attorney general did not oppose the objection raised by counsel to the ‘accused’ persons,Chief Rotimi Williams,on the ground that the information was filed by private prosecutor (Chief Gani Fawehinmi) when the information had not been completed and especially when the ‘INFORMATION IMPLICATED ONE OF THE PROSECUTION WITNESSES’(Kayode Soyinka)...the proof of evidence before the Court was mere HEARSAY…. Based on the evidence available before the court,it will be an abuse of the process of court to call the two security chiefs for trial.The information is therefore quashed accordingly.

In 2001,General Ibrahim Babangida refused to testify before a national human rights commission about the Giwa murder.Babangida,Hakilu and Togun went to court and obtained an order restraining the commission from summoning them to appear before it.The Chairman of the commission commented that the commission had the power to issue arrest warrants for the trio but decided against this "in the over-all interest of national reconciliation".In 2008 along with other activists such as Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Ken Saro Wiwa,the Government of Nigeria named a street in the New Federal Capital Abuja after Dele Giwa.

Popular posts from this blog

Kim kardashian west confirms third baby news.

In a trailer for season 14 of "keeping up with the Kardashian," Kim Kardashian West appears to confirm the rumors from earlier this year that she and husband Kanye West are having a third baby.The 60-second clip, which Kardashian West shared on Twitter, features her speaking with sister Kloe Kardashian and then teasing, "What happens every time I say, 'Guess what?'"Khloe Kardashian,33,says it means someone is having a kid."We're having a baby!" Kardashian West then answers.The reality star and businesswoman,36,did not say how they are having the baby or if they are using a surrogate as other outlets reported earlier this summer.E! News,the network that hosts the family's show, also published the baby announcement.This would be the third child for the Wests, who are already parents to daughter North West and son Saint West.Kim isn't the only Kardashian who has been in the media lately regarding an expected baby. Last week, reports surfa…

Gov Godwin Obaseki signs revised 2017 budget into law.

"Edo State Governor Mr.Godwin Obaseki has signed the 2017 budget revised down to 127 billion naira from its previous 150.6 billion into law.The governor said he feels a sense of accomplishment in signing the revised budget into law because with ten months into the fiscal year,a lot has been achieved in infrastructural development of the state.Explaining reason behind revision of the budget,Governor Obaseki emphasized it was to ensure transparency and credibility while being realistic as a government.“It has been a difficult year especially as revenue has not met expectation but this government is doing everything to provide the best service and fulfill its electioneering promises made to the people of Edo State.“We also created additional ministries such as Ministry of Science and Technology and did not want to vire expenditures from one sub head to another,rather we believed in doing things properly”.Speaking further,Obaseki said the revised budget also become necessary because …

Nigerian virrgin singer, Adokiye says she is ready to auction her virginity or lose it.

Adokiye ngozi kyrian yvonne aka Adokiye often talk about how she was able to keep her virginity till her adulthood and she is determined on remaining a virgin until marriage. Recently, her made global headlines after she offered her virginity to islamic militant sec, boko haram, in return for the over 200 abducted chibok school girls, but in an interview with new telegram, the tombolo crooner says she's ready to auction it. Below is an excerpt from the interview>>
Q; if you get the offer, would you auction you virginity for a million US dollar?
A; my brother, I no fit lie to you, if this economy situation continues, well, I would be left with no choice but to do so.
Q; which Nigerian male celebrity are you crushing on that you'd allow to de flower you and why?
A; I love davido, I think he has a good heart and I 'm guessing a lot of people don't know that he's very nic and soft hearted.
Q; why did you decide to offer your virginity to boko haram in exchange fo…