Skip to main content

Italy Arrests Libyan,Egyptian over Deaths of 26 Nigerian Women - Mostly Teenagers.

"Two men,one of them an Egyptian and the other a Libyan,have been arrested and charged in Italy as investigators look into the deaths of 26 Nigerian women and girls,who are suspected to have been murdered while attempting to cross the Mediterranean.The bodies of the women were brought to the southern Italian port of Salerno by the Spanish ship Cantabria on Sunday,and prosecutors opened an investigation over suspicions that the women,some as young as 14,may have been abused and killed.The bodies were recovered by Cantabria, which works as part of the EU’s Sophia anti-trafficking operation,from two separate shipwrecks – 23 from one and three from the other.Fifty-three people are believed to be missing.

"The men arrested have been named as Al Mabrouc Wisam Harar from Libya,and Egyptian Mohamed Ali Al Bouzid.
The pair are believed to have skippered one of the boats.They were identified by survivors who were among the 375 brought to Salerno by Cantabria,reported the London-based Guardian Newspaper.
An autopsy on the bodies should be completed over the next week.Salerno prefect Salvatore Malfi told the Italian press that the women had been travelling alongside men and when the vessels sank, “unfortunately,the women suffered the worst of it”.

But in response to concerns that the women were being trafficked for the sex trade,he added: “Sex trafficking routes are different,with different dynamics used. Loading women on to a boat is too risky for the traffickers,as they could risk losing all of their ‘goods’ – as they like to call them – in one fell swoop.”Marco Rotunno,an Italy spokesman for the UN refugee agency (UNHCR),said his colleagues were at the port in Salerno when the bodies were brought in.

“It was a very tough experience,” he said. “One lady from Nigeria lost all her three children.”He added that 90 per cent of migrant women arrive with bruises and other signs of violence.

“It’s very rare to find a woman who hasn’t been abused,only in exceptional cases, maybe when they are travelling with their husband.But also women travelling alone with their children have been abused.”
Most of the survivors were either Nigerian or from other sub-Saharan countries including Ghana,Sudan and Senegal.
The survivors brought to Tripoli also included Nigerians and Senegalese.

“I wanted to reach Italy.I don’t know what to do now,” said Dora Omoruyi,a 23-year-old arts student from Benin,Edo State, known as a hub for human traffickers to smuggle women to Italy where they often end up as prostitutes.

“I see no future in Nigeria,there are no jobs,” she said,standing next to a group of weeping Nigerian survivors.The survivors were among over 2,560 migrants saved over four days.People still continue to attempt the crossing despite a pact between Italy and Libya to stem the flow, which led to a drop in arrivals by almost 70 per cent since the summer,according to figures released last week by Italy’s Interior Ministry.

But as the Italian authorities tried to unravel the circumstances that led to the deaths of the 26 Nigerian women and girls,the federal government Wednesday confirmed the deaths,saying they were Nigerian nationals.The confirmation, which was contained in a statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,described the loss as monumental to the nation.

The ministry, in the statement signed by its spokesperson,Dr.Tope Elias-Fatile, extended its condolences to the families of the deceased.

The statement said: Further to this,we have received a reliable report from our mission in Rome that the dead bodies of 26 suspected Nigerians all of whom were female between the ages of fourteen and eighteen were discovered on Sunday 5th November,2017 in the Mediterranean Sea.

“The report indicates that a Spanish warship, Cantabria,brought the remains of the migrants to the southern Italian Port of Salerno.The Italian security officials who made this discovery are yet to confirm if they were purposely killed and why all who died were female.”

The statement added that the Italian police chief in Salerno who stated that the victims may have been drowned, has launched an investigation into the cause of their deaths to ascertain if they were either tortured or sexually assaulted.

“Indeed,this is a monumental loss and a sad moment for our country. As more investigations are being conducted on the unfortunate incident,the federal government wishes to commiserate with the family members of the victims,”said the ministry.

Popular posts from this blog

Kim kardashian west confirms third baby news.

In a trailer for season 14 of "keeping up with the Kardashian," Kim Kardashian West appears to confirm the rumors from earlier this year that she and husband Kanye West are having a third baby.The 60-second clip, which Kardashian West shared on Twitter, features her speaking with sister Kloe Kardashian and then teasing, "What happens every time I say, 'Guess what?'"Khloe Kardashian,33,says it means someone is having a kid."We're having a baby!" Kardashian West then answers.The reality star and businesswoman,36,did not say how they are having the baby or if they are using a surrogate as other outlets reported earlier this summer.E! News,the network that hosts the family's show, also published the baby announcement.This would be the third child for the Wests, who are already parents to daughter North West and son Saint West.Kim isn't the only Kardashian who has been in the media lately regarding an expected baby. Last week, reports surfa…

Gov Godwin Obaseki signs revised 2017 budget into law.

"Edo State Governor Mr.Godwin Obaseki has signed the 2017 budget revised down to 127 billion naira from its previous 150.6 billion into law.The governor said he feels a sense of accomplishment in signing the revised budget into law because with ten months into the fiscal year,a lot has been achieved in infrastructural development of the state.Explaining reason behind revision of the budget,Governor Obaseki emphasized it was to ensure transparency and credibility while being realistic as a government.“It has been a difficult year especially as revenue has not met expectation but this government is doing everything to provide the best service and fulfill its electioneering promises made to the people of Edo State.“We also created additional ministries such as Ministry of Science and Technology and did not want to vire expenditures from one sub head to another,rather we believed in doing things properly”.Speaking further,Obaseki said the revised budget also become necessary because …

Nigerian virrgin singer, Adokiye says she is ready to auction her virginity or lose it.

Adokiye ngozi kyrian yvonne aka Adokiye often talk about how she was able to keep her virginity till her adulthood and she is determined on remaining a virgin until marriage. Recently, her made global headlines after she offered her virginity to islamic militant sec, boko haram, in return for the over 200 abducted chibok school girls, but in an interview with new telegram, the tombolo crooner says she's ready to auction it. Below is an excerpt from the interview>>
Q; if you get the offer, would you auction you virginity for a million US dollar?
A; my brother, I no fit lie to you, if this economy situation continues, well, I would be left with no choice but to do so.
Q; which Nigerian male celebrity are you crushing on that you'd allow to de flower you and why?
A; I love davido, I think he has a good heart and I 'm guessing a lot of people don't know that he's very nic and soft hearted.
Q; why did you decide to offer your virginity to boko haram in exchange fo…